Mauritius – Largest Source of Foreign Direct Investment in India
This census yields comprehensive information on the market value of foreign liabilities and assets of Indian companies arising on account of FDI, Overseas Direct Investment (ODI) and other investments.
- Out of the 18,667 companies which had participated in the census, 17,020 had FDI/ODI in their balance sheets in March 2017.
- 96% of responding companies were unlisted in March 2017 and most of them had received only inward FDI.
- Unlisted companies had higher share of FDI equity capital vis a vis listed companies
- Over 80% of the 15,169 companies that reported inward FDI were subsidiaries of foreign companies (single foreign investor holding over 50 per cent of the total equity).
- Non-financial FDI companies had a much higher share in total foreign equity participation vis-a-vis financial FDI firms.
- The Manufacturing sector accounted for nearly half of the total FDI at market prices, Information and Communication Services (ICTS) and Financial and Insurance activities were the other major sectors which attracted FDI
Total sales, including exports, of foreign subsidiaries in India increased by 18.7% during 2016-17 whereas their purchases, including imports, increased by 20.1%.